New York state is famous for several reasons, from having several landmarks to being a popular tourist destination, and the reputation for New York City for being the city that “never sleeps”. However, despite all these good things about New York, the state, just like many others in the country, has a dark side – substance abuse and addiction. The state has been feeling the effects of the current prescription opiates epidemic currently plaguing the country, with a mortality rate of 15.1 per 100,000 persons having been recorded in 2016 (higher than the national average of 13.3).
Aside from the high number of opioids related deaths, the epidemic has also taken a toll on the public health sector, with nearly 12,000 emergency medical services calls having been recorded in 2015, a 57% increase from 2014.
But like many other U.S states, New York is fighting hard to eradicate the epidemic, starting with making available substance abuse treatment for those in need.
What to Look for in a Drug Rehab New York
When seeking addiction treatment, the difference between success and failure of the rehab program can be in your choice of drug rehab facility. For this reason, you need to be careful when choosing a drug rehab New York to ensure that you pick the right one. But how can you do that? Below is a look at some of the attributes to consider when choosing a rehab center.
- License and accreditation : The last thing you want is to pour your money into an unscrupulous rehab center that is not licensed and/or accredited. Therefore, before you pick an addiction treatment center, make sure that is licensed and accredited by the relevant authorities/organization. You can check with the local or state government for licensing and accreditation records.
- Success rates: You want to undergo treatment in a drug rehab New York that can guarantee positive results. Therefore, before you pick your choice of drug rehab facility, you should check their success rates. If they have a high success rate, they can be a good fit. If not, consider another center.
- Treatment program offered: Each drug rehab and alcohol rehab New York offers a range of treatment options and employs different treatment approaches. However, before you choose a treatment center, it is important to ensure that they have the substance abuse treatment program you need.
- Cost of treatment: Treatment costs will vary depending on a number of factors, including the rehab center you choose and the treatment offered. Therefore, it is important to find out how much the treatment will cost you, and how you will pay for it before commencing on the rehab process.
Now is the time to seek help. Call us today.
Benefits of Going to a Drug Rehab in New York
Why pay money for drug rehab? Why not quit at home? These are some of the questions that some people might have about seeking treatment at drug rehab New York. So, is going to rehab worth the money you pay? The undisputed answer is yes, and it can offer you several benefits. Below is a look at some of these benefits of going to rehab:
- A drug rehab New York offers a stable environment (free of drugs, social influence, and triggers) where you can fight substance abuse effectively
- Rehab centers have counselors, who can offer instant support to help you through the withdrawal and treatment process
- Going to a drug rehab New York connects you to other peers in the same situation, who can also support you in your fight to recovery
- With some rehab centers, you can get aftercare treatment, which can help you reintegrate back to the society without the use of drugs and other addictive substances
What to Expect at Treatment?
Many people who seek substance abuse treatment are first-timers, with no idea of what to expect once they are in rehab. The fear of not knowing can be overwhelming for most individuals, thus keeping them from seeking addiction treatment. Other people suffering from substance abuse and addiction have false beliefs about rehab (being in a locked and highly restrictive facility), which also frightens them away from seeking treatment.
However, this is not what happens at rehab, and knowing what to expect can help you make the first step in seeking treatment. It can also better prepare you for the process, thus making it seamless. Below is a look at what to expect at a drug rehab New York
The first step of the rehab process, where the facility conducts an evaluation to determine the best treatment and approach to be used. Financial arrangements are also handled at this stage.
Involves the complete withdrawal from the use of any addictive substances. Drug withdrawal symptoms that develop are also managed, sometimes through medical assistance.
The actual treatment begins after completing the detox. Treatment varies from one rehab facility to another and depending on the patient’s specific circumstances. However, it usually involves medical treatment, therapy, and other relevant approaches such as exercise, diet, life skills lessons, etc.
Aftercare treatment is offered in most inpatient rehab facilities and is designed to help the patient rebuild a normal and fulfilling life without the dependence of drugs and/or alcohol.
Inpatient vs Outpatient Rehab
Drug treatment centers New York can be classified into two main types: inpatient centers and outpatient centers. Inpatient centers offer treatment in an isolated environment, where the patient has minimal interaction with the outside world during the duration of the rehab process. On the other hand, outpatient centers allow patients to receive treatment and continue with other day-to-day activities. So, which one is the best- inpatient or outpatient rehab? Below is a comparison of both options:
Pros of inpatient rehab:
- 24/7 supervised detoxification
- More hours of individual and group therapy
- Restricted access to drugs
- Fewer or no triggers that can cause a relapse
Cons of inpatient rehab:
- The high cost of rehab
- Restrictive environment, which might feel like a disadvantage to patients (it is, however, a very good advantage)
- Interrupted daily life
Pros of outpatient rehab:
- Affordable cost of treatment
- Treatment does not interrupt your daily life
- Being in your usual environment allows you to learn and practice how to cope without drugs
- Access to support from family and friends
Cons of outpatient rehab:
- Easier access to drugs
- Exposure to social influence and triggers
- Distractions from daily life responsibilities, which take the focus away from rehab
Both inpatient and outpatient rehab options have their own unique attributes, advantages, and disadvantages. At the end of the day, the option you choose should be the one that suits you most and offers you a better chance of overcoming addiction.
Understanding Your Treatment Options
There are several types of substance abuse treatment that are offered by drug treatment centers New York. The treatment offered, as well as the approach used, varies from one treatment facility to the other. Individual circumstances of the patient will also affect the treatment option and approach used.
All in all, there is not a single universal treatment, and you can even have your pick of what treatment you need. Unfortunately, many people seeking substance abuse treatment do not understand all their options, which can have some drawbacks.
So, what treatment options are offered by drug and alcohol treatment centers in New York?
Dual Diagnosis Treatment
In some cases, patients suffering from substance abuse also have mental health issues, which can be underlying or caused by the addiction problem. In such a case, only treating substance abuse disorder can be ineffective, as the mental health problem can cause a relapse. Dual diagnosis treatment is thus a better choice in these cases, as it treats both disorders, thus guaranteeing lasting solutions.
Faith Based Treatment
Faith based treatment combines faith with other treatment options (medication, therapy, etc.) to provide religious people a faith-based approach for overcoming addiction. It focuses on the practice of Faith values as a way of overcoming the temptation to relapse.
The holistic treatment uses a holistic approach, where the rehab facility treats both the mind and body of the patient, in addition to offering substance abuse treatment. The improved well-being (body and mind) makes the patient stronger, thus increasing their chances of successfully overcoming their addiction.
The 12-step program is a popular treatment approach that has been used for several decades to treat addiction. You are more likely to come across it at an alcohol rehab New York, but it is also used by several treatment centers. The 12-step approach is spiritual in nature, and it involves the practice of 12 principles, which help the patient overcome their substance abuse and dependence problem.
If you are not a religious person, the 12-step approach used by alcohol rehabs New York might not be for you. Fortunately, many alcohol treatment centers offer alternative treatment programs that are not religious in nature – the non-12 step treatments.
Alcohol Rehab New York
Alcohol abuse and dependence is a huge problem that affects several New York residents. According to survey results by the Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America, approximately 15% of New York residents have an alcohol abuse problem – the excessive drinking of alcohol. The excessive drinking takes a heavy burden on the New York public health, as it costs the state a lot of money in the form of treatment for alcohol poisoning hospital visits. Fortunately for the affected New York residents, there are several rehab treatment centers New York that offer alcohol dependence treatment.
A typical alcohol rehab New York can either offer outpatient or inpatient rehab care. When choosing your desired rehab facility, you can choose any of these two options, as well as various different approaches such as dual diagnosis treatment, 12-step approach, non-12-step approach, holistic approach, and Christian based approach.
Like any other drug rehab New York, alcohol treatment centers offer varying rehabilitation programs – in terms of duration. The length of the program will depend on factors such as your personal preferences, your level of addiction, your alcohol abuse history, and the facility you have chosen.
Traveling for Addiction Treatment
When most people are looking for rehab facilities, they usually concentrate on their surrounding location. And while going to rehab in a facility within your location can be convenient in terms of distance, it might not always be the best option.
Therefore, if you are not a resident of New York, you can seek treatment at a drug rehab New York, which can even be a better idea than seeking treatment in your own state. Below is a look at some of the benefits you can get from such a decision.
- Access to more treatment options and approaches, apart from those in your local area
- Traveling out of state for addiction treatment allows you to break free from old habits, which can trigger drug use
- The new environment can give you the feeling of a new start, which can be psychologically empowering
- Isolation from distractions, access to drugs, social influence, and other triggers that can trigger substance abuse
Traveling to another state offers you privacy, in the event, you do not want family, friends, colleagues, and other people to find out about your substance abuse problem
Paying for Rehab
When considering substance abuse treatment, one of the things you will have to take into account is the cost. The cost of treatment in most drug rehab treatment centers New York can be off-putting, particularly with inpatient facilities. Fortunately, in most facilities, you do not have to pay all that amount from your own pocket. It is possible to find a drug rehab New York that accepts insurance coverage – Medicaid or private insurance. This can save you and your loved one from having to take on a huge financial burden.
Aside from insurance, other options for affording substance abuse treatment include personal loans, donations from friends and family members, and going to facilities that offer subsidized treatment services.
Sunshine Behavioral Health strives to help people who are facing substance abuse, addiction, mental health disorders, or a combination of these conditions. It does this by providing compassionate care and evidence-based content that addresses health, treatment, and recovery.
Licensed medical professionals review material we publish on our site. The material is not a substitute for qualified medical diagnoses, treatment, or advice. It should not be used to replace the suggestions of your personal physician or other health care professionals.
Talk with one of our Treatment Specialists!
Call 24/7: 949-276-2886